I have talked before about how we take our environmental responsibilities seriously at Winnens.
Wherever possible, we aim to seek out environmentally friendly and sustainable products that will reduce our carbon footprint. For example, we source British wool carpets wherever possible.
In addition, we stock a wide range of floorings that do not contain VOCs (Volatile Organic Compounds) or other chemicals that may cause health and environmental issues.
There are plenty of ways in which we can all help improve the environment. Here are 7 things we can all easily implement:
1. Eat less meat. Greenhouse gas emissions from agribusinesses are recognised as a major problem, even more so than the use of fossil fuels. Cutting meat out of our diets, or at least reducing it, will make a big difference.
2. Unplug devices. Whenever a cord is plugged into an electronic device it draws energy, even if the device is powered down. If they are not in use leave your devices unplugged.
3. Drive less. It’s another simple thing but if we all drove less, we would make a huge difference to the environment. Walk, cycle or take the bus. Not only are there potential health benefits but there are social ones too – you can talk to people!
4. Don’t buy new clothes. Or if you do, buy things that are going to last for a long time. Check out your local second hand stores for bargains and upcycle older items.
5. Grow your own. Plant some bee-friendly flowers, some vegetables or even a tree. Gardening has health benefits too as it provides exercise and can relieve stress.
6. Eat locally. Whenever possible, eat local in-season produce.
7. Use a clothesline. A tumble dryer is recognised as one of the most energy consuming appliances there is. Why not simply hang your washing out to dry on a line.
Small steps I know, but if everyone started following these ideas then at least we will be heading in the right direction.